Chocolate experimentation is my favourite hobby. Especially when it comes to making cakes.
And with chocolate cake, there's nothing better than a ganache version ... a dark, moist chocolatey cake smothered in even more rich, gooey chocolate. Sigh, I could handle some now!
Here we have the ultimate in ganache cakes because it uses three types of chocolate -- milk chocolate, dark chocolate and cacao powder for extra chocolateyness.
And a heads up, while this does take about five hours from go to whoa, it is dead simple to make with very few steps.
C'Mon, you know you want some!
Triple-chocolate ganache cake
- 250g Chef's Choice 100% raw organic dark chocolate drops
- 250g Chef's Choice raw organic cacao powder
- 125g unsalted butter, chopped
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon Chef's Choice organic unbleached plain flour
For the chocolate ganache
- 200ml pure (thin) cream
- 100g Organic Times milk chocolate drops
- 100g Organic Times dark chocolate drops
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Grease and line the base of a 20cm springform cake pan.
- Place the chocolate, cacao, butter and 1 tablespoon sugar in a bowl set over a saucepan of gently simmering water (don't let the bowl touch the water, or your chocolate will seize).
- Stir until the chocolate drops and powder have melted and the mixture is well combined, then remove the bowl from the pan and set side to cool slightly.
- Beat the eggs and remaining sugar in an electric mixer for 10 minutes on medium-high until very thick and pale.
- Using a metal spoon, gently fold in the flour, then the chocolate mixture, trying to retain as much air as possible.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake in the oven for 12 minutes. It will feel under-done at this stage, but it is not.
- Remove the cake from the oven and run a knife around the edge.
- Set aside to cool in the pan, then place in the freezer for 4 hours, or until set.
- Remove the cake from the freezer 1 hour before serving and leave at room temperature to soften.
- Meanwhile, for the ganache icing, place the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to just below boiling point.
- Place the dark and milk chocolate drops in a bowl and pour over the hot cream.
- Stir together until melted and smooth.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before pouring over the cake.
- Cut the cake into slices and serve.
Try it, we bet you love this version. And if you have a recipe of your own to share, do it on YsPeople.